Tuesday, January 18, 2011

In Support of Southeast Polk's Ag Department

The following is an email I sent out to my colleagues today in support of Southeast Polk High School's Agricultural Education program. I truly believe that our ag ed program is what education should be all about.


To my 8th grade colleagues,

With your Advisory materials this week, you received a letter from Southeast Polk FFA President Brett Timmins about the ag ed presentation this Friday during Advisory. I would like to encourage you to promote this presentation to your students because of how beneficial FFA and agricultural education have been for Brett.

Brett signed up for an ag class and joined FFA as a freshman mainly so she could show in the Iowa State Fair FFA swine show, but she got much more from her Southeast Polk ag experience than just the opportunity to show her pigs. FFA has taught her invaluable leadership, interpersonal, speaking and critical thinking skills. She has become a better student and a more confident young woman through her classes, through FFA competitions, and through experiences like the FFA National Convention and the Washington Leadership Conference. She has learned a lot about not only agricultural economics, but also her own personal finances through her supervised agricultural experiences (SAE).

Over winter break, Brett received her acceptance letter from Iowa State University (yes, I know, but it's OK), where she is going to become an ag teacher and FFA adviser. I couldn't be prouder than I am as the father of a Cyclone (no, seriously, I mean it), and I couldn't be more grateful to Matt Eddy  and the Southeast Polk ag ed program for what they have done for my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment